Tuesday, July 7, 2009

There's never a dull moment...

After spending most of last week in the hospital with Dad, I was looking for a relaxing weekend in Francesville with friends, family, and the fair! We accomplished all of that until yesterday. Blaine and I had Friday and Monday off work. Most of Friday was spent laying around in bed for almost all of the morning {with the exception of Blaine having to run into work to check the pool}...Friday evening we met Tony and Bev for dinner at Scotty's and then went to the batting cages and mini golfing! It was nice to be with them since we haven't spent much time together this summer. :o) It's always fun when we are together!

We headed home Saturday after making fruit pizza for the Siemens Family Cookout! We spent the afternoon and evening at Grandma and Grandpas... We had a good time being with family and celebrating the 4th of July!! Uncle Mike and Uncle Clay both brought some fireworks so we all gathered under our 'Easy-Up' and watched as the boys fired them off!

We went to the Pulaski Co Fair on Sunday to watch Alex show his pigs. It's always nice to go back to our fair where we spent so much time in the summers when we were younger. We've decided that the fair has gone downhill since we were in 4-H. It seems like there is nothing there anymore.

After Alex was done showing his pigs we {Jan and Don & Blaine and I} headed over to Alicia and Isaiah's house to check out their wood burner. It was nice to see the finished house and hang out with them for awhile. After leaving the Collins', we stopped by Gma and Gpa's so Blaine could get the truck loaded with beans to take to the elevator in the morning. He wanted to get an early start so he could get as much done as possible for Dad since he is out of commission right now. After Blaine got to Jan's, the four of us got cleaned up then headed over to Indiana Beach. We had a nice evening filled with tacos and fireworks. :o)

We had a nice weekend up until yesterday...

We had yesterday off work b/c Blaine was going to haul beans for Dad and I was going to take Dad to get his IV in Monticello at the hospital. Blaine brought home one of Gpa's trucks so I wouldn't have to run him up to the farm in the morning and I could sleep in a little. Little did I know, I would be woken up by Jan telling me that Blaine had just flipped the grain truck. Needless to say... I was wide awake at 7. I jumped out of bed and got dressed and Jan and I headed up to Medaryville.

Blaine had just pulled out of Gma and Gpa's drive and was headed to town when he came up to the cross-road and couldn't stop. He had NO brakes. He didn't know what the ditch was like in front of him so he decided to try to make the turn. It didn't happen...

Thank God Blaine is alright. It could have been a lot worse. I'm glad he had enough time to brace himself and try to position himself where he knew he would get the least hurt in the accident. He flipped over and was stuck. He couldn't figure out how to get out and couldn't find his cell phone. Finally he reached down by his feet and found a window crank right next to his phone. He picked both up. Called Grandpa. And tried to open the window. He proceeded to pull himself out of the window. By the time he got out, Gpa had called 911 and jumped into the truck with a hammer and headed toward the scene. Gpa said he grabbed the biggest tool he could find the quickest. He was headed down to break the windows to get Blaine out. He said that when he drove up he saw Blaine standing behind the truck. He felt a sigh of relief. I bet he did! I know I sure did. He was pretty shaken up. He refused treatment from the EMT. He said he was alright. He came out of this with a scratch on his back and is VERY sore today. He thinks he might have bruised some of his ribs. We might go to the doctor later today depending on how he feels later.

I am so thankful for all the helpful hands we had yesterday. Neighbors came from all different directions to help in any way they could. That's one thing I love about Francesville/Medaryville. Everyone is so willing to help out and do what they can for each other. I was talking to my best friend after I had left to go pick up Dad for his appointment. She said she was going to call her Dad {who is like my second Dad} and see if he could go help. He dropped what he was doing to go help Blaine and make sure he was ok. I just want to take time to thank everyone who helped or said prayers for my family over the last week or so. It's been a difficult time for our immediate family and it makes it a lot easier to know that we have people thinking about us and that are there for us in times of need. I just hope you all know that we would do the same for you!

No comments: